Rethinking global shortcuts

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Feb 9 15:58:46 UTC 2013

On Saturday 09 February 2013 16:51:16 Mark wrote:
> A window manager should in my opinion do just that, manage windows. It
> has no business in managing global shortcut keys. Or is my logic
> flawed? If so, please do correct me.
In a Wayland world the compositor is responsible for input and there is no
"Window Manager" any more. So yes handling global shortcuts is a feature KWin
has to provide in the Wayland world. Also in the X world it would be very
useful to have all input events filtered through KWin, which is just not
possible with the X Architecture.

Btw. having it in KWin does not mean that it doesn't work together with other
window managers any more.