Automatically invalidate pixmap cache after theme changes

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Feb 8 09:32:31 UTC 2013

On Friday 08 February 2013 10:22:51 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Friday 08 February 2013, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > from several users I got the feedback that after upgrading to 4.10 the
> > Plasma theming was completely broken and I also experienced that when
> > first switching to the new theme. The users reported that removing
> > /var/tmp/kdecache-USERNAME solved the issue. That's of course a little bit
> > too much, but we should be able to do something to improve the experience.
> >
> > What about shipping an update script to invalidate the cache when we
> > changed the theme? Would that be possible? What would be the drawbacks? If
> > it is feasible I'd suggest that we inlcude a script pretty fast, so that
> > it is in 4.10.1.
>
> actually theme was supposed to do that internally when the version number in
> its desktop file changes...
> for some reasons seems it didn't work :/
>
> don't know if the problem was in plasma or in pixmapcache...
can that work at all if one updates a running system. Distribution packages
normally just overwrite the files. So the next time after update (or during
update) a file is opened it will be from the new theme although everything
else in the cache is still from the old one - especially the desktop file
which is not re-read (I hope it isn't).

--
Martin Gräßlin