PW2 planning: one shell to rule them all

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 13:05:01 UTC 2013

On Friday 01 February 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi ..
>
> i started a wiki page for the "one shell to rule them all" feature:
>
> 	http://community.kde.org/Plasma/shellswitching
>
> feedback, edits, input, ideas, etc welcome/needed.
>
> we'll go over this and more at upcoming meetings, and to give us a head
> start i'm writing up things we've discussed in the past.

i added a description of the test shell there is in the future plasma-
frameworks repository. is intended to be pretty much a testbed for libplasma
features (to unbreak them one by one) but if kept clean can give birth to a
full shell (by transplanting the needed pieces from plasma-device and plasma-
desktop)

this is what does right now:
* loads a corona, restores the containments (or creates a default layout) that
right now are a pure qobject tree
* creates a view per screen (just with qdesktop widget) a View is in the
shell, not in libplasma anymore and is a QQuickView subclass
* the view loads in itself a qml file, coming from a package (right now
org.kde.homescreen.desktop) that will become pretty much the workspace
definition

the idea for continuing is, when containments and applets will be again
worsing scriptengines (and will load a real qml package), Containment will
have a pointer to the qml package root element (just a qobject* is all is
needed). When a containment gains a screen, the corona will assign the
containment root item to the view, making it child of the view root item. this
makes the containment graphics "migrate" scene (thing that hasn't been tested
yet how much reliable, but we absolutely need it to work flawlessy) and witll
be possible from the view qml even animate the transition, if needed by the
workspace.

Cheers,
Marco Martin