Battery Monitor on Plasma 2

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Sat Dec 28 16:13:24 UTC 2013

Hi there,

first of all, I really like all the polish you put into Plasma 2, especially
system tray and the calendar :-)

I have a few questions regarding the battery monitor, however:
- (How) Can I determin whether the panel the system tray emerged from is at
the top or bottom of the screen? Does plasmoid.location still exist and work?
The idea was to have the controls always as close to the panel as possible
(less mouse travel)

- (How) Can I determin whether the plasmoid is collapsed in systray or in a
panel? Currently when there are eg. two batteries, the battery monitor shows
two icons cramped next to eath other as it doesn't know it's only supposed to
show one icon. Does plasmoid.formfactor still exist and work, especially in
the systray popup or are there other means to detect this?

- How to proceed concerning the expanding and collapsing of battery details?
It seems a plasmoid is not supposed to change its size by itself in Plasma 2.
On the desktop, when the plasmoid becomes smaller than its minimum size, it
collapses to the compact representation. However when the minimum size
changes, it causes weird behavior, such as the content overlapping and as soon
as you touch the sizer, it re-evaluates the minimum sizes and collapses again
(and vice-versa).The system tray popup also seems fixed in size (is the
initial size of the popup the minimum width of the largest plasmoid?)
Experience also has shown that resizing a Plasma popup in an X + QGraphicsView
world is really glitchy and ugly.

Best,
Kai Uwe