Looking around and thinking ahead

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 21:39:29 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, December 12, 2013 17:30:47 Martin Klapetek wrote:
>> I don't think it makes much sense to dismiss the one and only tossed in (so
>> far anyway) simply because...well, I even don't know why. It's there. It's
>> done. It's usable. Why not at least try it out and actually see if it meets
>> the goals we're trying to reach?
>
> because we have not set out the goals. those will necessarily be derived from
> decisions made in the larger design of the desktop shell. decisions made
> w/regards to notifications, for instance, can very well end up influencing the
> requirements.
>
>> Instead we see just a blunt dismissal without any consideration. Which is
>
> it was not a blunt dismissal of Eike’s plasmoid. it was the suggestion that
> instead of trying to figure out which of a N different implementations is most
> desirable, to start with setting our design goals clearly first.
>
> not doing so is how we ended up with kickoff. it has served us very well, but
> most of us agree something better could be done.
>
> so my suggestion was: don’t do it the same way.
>
> there was *nothing* in my email that suggested that having gone through a
> design goals process we don’t end up precisely at Eike’s solution.
>
> and if we do, we’ll then know why we have without guesswork.

I very much like to see the kickoff discussion appear in a separate
plasma-devel thread. It sounds very interesting, but is quite hard to
follow while mixed in all the other ideas being talked about in here.

Please do include the goals it should fulfill.

>From the way you write about kickoff it sounds like you even see an
option where there is no start menu at all (aka, the horrible windows
8 route).. I hope i'm wrong :)