Looking around and thinking ahead

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 16:30:47 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, December 12, 2013 15:09:25 Eike Hein wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 December 2013 02:26:42 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > In plasma-shell, we have some construction sites as well. Kickoff still
> > > feels quite unfinished (some would say broken ;))
> >
> > I wrote a new menu implementation for KDE 4 recently:
>
> there a 1000 ways to do a launch ‘menu’, and each will be appreciated by
> someone out there. give me a menu implementation and i’ll show you someone
> who
> loves it to death and someone who wants to do physical harm to the author.
>
> so i don’t think it makes much sense to toss N of them in a ring and
> discuss
> relative merits.

I don't think it makes much sense to dismiss the one and only tossed in (so
far anyway) simply because...well, I even don't know why. It's there. It's
done. It's usable. Why not at least try it out and actually see if it meets
the goals we're trying to reach?

It's a different view on how launching apps can be done. I don't see
anything wrong with discussing relative merits of how this particular case
meets or meets not the goals (and what goals). The result of such
discussion can even be used as a basis for new launchers being developed.
Plasma2 is still quite far, if Eike's new menu serves mostly well to our
needs, there's still enough time Eike can shape it up.

Instead we see just a blunt dismissal without any consideration. Which is
ok, but not something a maintainer should do imho. If only because it turns
down good developers with interest in working on a particular problem. And
I don't like that these things even happen in our ranks. I'm happy to take
this discussion ("new launcher for Plasma2") outside of this thread, but
make it actually happen.

> i’d much rather have a list of goals and then work towards something that
> meets them. those goals ought to follow the design purpose of the Plasma 2
> desktop shell and should probably not be confined to “how can i launch
> applications?”
>
> > http://i.imgur.com/KG2R98u.png
>
> as an aside: this really makes zero sense to have. it requires plasmoid A
> work with plasmoid B in a way that makes lots of assumptions.
>
> drag and drop + SLC should replace these misfeatures entirely.

I hope that drag'n'drop is not going to replace all context menus out
there. Dragging things especially on touchpad is just painful. In these
cases context menu is all you ever want.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer