Kaffeine's future

Shantanu Tushar Jha shaan7in at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 09:58:43 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Daniel Kreuter
<daniel.kreuter85 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> Am Montag, 9. Dezember 2013 schrieb Mario Fux KDE ML :
>
> Am Montag, 02. Dezember 2013, 18.34:15 schrieb Christoph Pfister:
>> > Hi guys,
>>
>> Good morning Christoph
>>
>> > I know I should have done this step earlier. After taking over this
>> > project from Christophe Thommeret long ago and doing a lot of
>> > interesting stuff, I've been busy with real life in the past months
>> > (years) and the situation will not change in the future. As I'm unable
>> > to maintain Kaffeine in an appropriate manner, I've decided to abandon
>> > the project.
>>
>> Too bad to hear but thanks a lot for your past work! I watched TV hours
>> with
>> Kaffeine and used it a lot. So thanks for your work and Kaffeine.
>>
>> > Therefore I'm asking whether someone is interested in taking over
>> > maintainership; I've listed the current state of the project at the
>> > end of this mail. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to deal with
>> > patches earlier [ sorry guys! ], so I don't have a logical candidate
>> > or so. But if somebody is willing to take over [ you should know a bit
>> > about Qt and KDE and preferably have some Dvb / Atsc equipment at hand
>> > ], I will try to support the handover.
>>
>> Depending on where you are on this planet I could send you a DVB-S card to
>> test and port Kaffeine.
>>
>> Christoph:
>> What do you think of migrating the code and mailing lists (etc.) from
>> sourceforge to KDE infrastructure?
>>
>> Or would it even make sense to merge Kaffeine with the Plasma Media
>> Center?
>>

> I thought of this , too. I think TV support would be awesome to have in
> PMC as well and Kaffeine was always the only working solution for Linux I
> found so far.

This is the most wanted feature in PMC as of today as there is still no
plan of implementation because the developers do not have DVB equipment,
plus the only way to get TV in their region is through set-top-boxes whose
output is using cables like these
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/259155234/3_5mm_Plug_3_RCA_Video_Audio_Cable.jpg.
Is that what the DVB/ATSC equipment accept?

So, in addition to taking up Kaffeine if someone has the resources to
implement that in PMC, we shall offer you dozens of cookies :)

Just my 2 Rappen
>> Mario
>>
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Christoph
>> >

>> > - Last released version (QT4 / KDE 4): Kaffeine 1.2.2 on 2011-04-04.
>> >
>> > This should still be stable enough for many purposes.
>> >
>> > - Bug tracker: https://bugs.kde.org/
>> >
>> > - Git repository: KDE extragear;
>> >
>> https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/multimedia/kaffeine/repository
>> >
>> > There is a transition from xine to vlc going on; needs some love.
>> >
>> > - Mailing lists / releases: hosted at sourceforge.
>> >
>> > - Home page: http://kaffeine.kde.org/ which is down at the moment (but
>> > can be reactivated if someone takes care of it); archived version:
>> > http://web.archive.org/web/20130613232503/http://kaffeine.kde.org/
>> >
>> > - Varia: https://git.reviewboard.kde.org

Shantanu Tushar    (UTC +0530)
http://www.shantanutushar.com