Fails to build against Qt 5.3 dev snapshot

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 16:59:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 30 November 2013, Alan Alpert wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, this was a change on purpose. Sorry for not informing you, as I did
>> recall that you were wanting to use it.
>>
>> The issue is that we're starting to work on ahead of time compilation of
>> for 5.3, and we think the url interceptor might get in the way(because
>> types and urls can otherwise resolve in different ways at runtime, and
>> precompiling the types is the main draw of AOT) . If we do rewrite that
>> part of the engine, we'll need to make it more module based instead of urls
>> (which would then allow me to provide a similar level of control at the
>> module level, which should suffice for the security mechanism we talked
>> about).
>
> btw what is the plan? precompile qml files and caching some kind of binary
> file on disk?

Kindof, more like deploying a binary file than caching it. We're
planning a separate pre-deploy build step which you'll use for the
release deployment of a package or module. Sort of like how
QtQuick.Controls bundles all the QML files as QRC for release, but not
debug. Sort of like qmlbundle, except we hope to get farther :P .

I'm pretty sure that it will be an opt-in deploy time step, everything
will continue to work the "same as before" without it.

Except that we are in the middle of a major engine rewrite and AOT is
probably going to change even more :P. For everything except
QQmlAbstractUrlInterceptor (which exposes details a bit too deep in
the internals) we aim to maintain compatibility.

--
Alan Alpert