QML/javascript and KNotification

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Aug 30 17:57:44 UTC 2013

On Friday, August 30, 2013 18:26:08 Anthony Vital wrote:
> Moreover, in order to install the notifyrc file correctly, I have to
> install it (+ the plasmoid icon so that it is detected in the notifications
> config panel) with CMake. I read that installing a plasmoid with CMake is
> the recommended way, and I personnaly don't mind doing so, but it prevents
> installing the plasmoid simply from a plasmoid package/KGHNS. Any thoughts
> on this?

* the notifications engine should really be updated to call into the knotify4
daemon properly rather than “fake it” as it currently does (it just adds
entries directly into the local notifications engine .. that this works at all
is a happy accident of it running in the same process as the notifications
widget which uses the notifications dataengine! but if you try this in a
separate process such as plasma-windowed or the applet strip in plasma active,
this fails completely)

* knotify4 is built around the assumption that all applications are installed
to the system. this really is no longer a valid assumption in our modern day
and age. a work around would be to copy .notifyrc files included in applet
packages to the correct subdirectory in `kde4-config --localprefix` on
installation and then add information as to which notifyrc to use in calls to
knotify4 ... but this feels like a maaaaaassive hack.

i really think this is probably only something that can be properly fixed in
Frameworks 5 with a refactor of KNotification.