naming the next major release

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Aug 22 17:47:22 UTC 2013

On Thursday 22 August 2013 20:36:24 Giorgos Tsiapaliokas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 21 August 2013 12:49, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My vote would go for Plasma.
>
> +1,  just "Plasma" without "KDE".
>
> On 21 August 2013 21:38, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> > another idea: let's drop the version number completely and only use it
> > internally (bugtracker, libs, etc.)
>
> I was thinking this too. But when a new version comes out how could we
> promote it?
Quoting our release announcement for 4.11: "KDE is delighted to announce its
latest set of releases, providing major updates to KDE Plasma Workspaces, KDE
Applications, and the KDE Platform."
> Also if a product doesn't have a version then this could mean that it is
> rolling.
> Yes not always but this is the first thought that goes through the mind. No?
And a rolling release might have version numbers. I'm using a rolling distro
and it has version numbers, but I never know which one it is. So that argument
works in both direction. I think there is no real sign that rolling releases
do not have a version number.

Cheers
Martin