naming the next major release

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Aug 22 06:38:11 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 21 August 2013 19:36:21 Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
> 2013/8/21 Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org>:
> >>
> >> Well if I write an app using Qt people call it a Qt app, when you use KDE
> >> FW it becomes a KDE app. So what should I call the software I write when
> >> using KDE FW?
> >
> > Just to chime in here, this is clearly wrong. A KDE App (or project, if
> > you
> > will) is not defined by its technical dependencies, but by the people who
> > write it, see manifesto.kde.org.
>
> Ok, then what am I doing wrong in calling my stuff KDE stuff?
> http://manifesto.kde.org/benefits.html lists what I do on my
> projects, I was arguing about Martin saying that I talk KDE as software
> but KDE projects are mostly software no? This is too controversial,
> I know the idea is the we KDE are a community, but it's a community
> that have projects and software hence why am wrong in saying
> KDE software? It's software made by KDE people.
Look for example at your rant about switches. It's always saying "KDE 4.11",
which is just wrong. That's what I meant. Just by scrolling down your blog I
see two posts with "KDE 4.11" in the title. This is working against the
rebranding. How are we supposed to have the media get it right, if even the
developers continue to use the old wording.

Cheers
Martin