naming the next major release

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Aug 20 05:06:10 UTC 2013

On Monday 19 August 2013 21:56:35 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> 3. ‘2’ ... why “two” if this is version 5? well, libplasma is actually going
> to be version 6 iirc, so it isn’t the library. i also am not a big believer
> in branding after version numbers. neither are any of our proprietary
> competitors who have a lot more marketing and communications savvy than we
> tend to. ;) what i like about 2 is:
>
> * it communicates this is something after the first. it’s that whole “two
> point oh” thing, though hopefully less hype than, say, “web 2.0” ;)
>
> * it’s simple and direct
>
> * ‘2’ is a couple, and a couple is a nice human idea :) this is borne out by
> the “1, 2, many” pattern in many ancient languages. we know 1, we know 2,
> after that it’s just an abstract concept.
I would like to get rid of version numbers in the traditional way. If the
numbers are small, it's fine. But looking at many projects I am not able to get
how old software is based on the number.

So instead I suggest that we go by year and numbering:
* 2014.1.4
* 2014.2.2
* 2014.3.1
-> year.major.minor

It would also prevent the confusion that several parts of our software has now
different versions and especially that 4+1=2 :-)

> Sooooooooooo ... here is my proposal:
>
> 	We call it Plasma 2 and use that as a rallying call to
> 	focus on its unified user experience
> 	across the spectrum of devices people use today.
I do want to promote KWin for the usage in LXDE/Razor as in the next version
we will hardly have any build-time dependencies from frameworks higher than
tier1. I'm concerned that a generic name "Plasma" would work against that as
it would be difficult to communicate that although being part of Plasma not
being part of Plasma. If someone has a good idea on how to properly
communicate this without being confusing (especially for users who want the
lightweight aspect of LXDE and Plasma is for people in that user group
unfortunately the definition of bloat) I consider this as a non-blocking issue
for the naming.

We should also think about what the name would mean for bug reporting. We
don't want that all bugs for everything what is in kde-workspaces nowadays
ends up in the component plasma.

Cheers
Martin

P.S. Thanks for bringing the topic to the mailing list.