naming the next major release

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Aug 19 23:26:44 UTC 2013

On Monday, August 19, 2013 23:08:15 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 19 August 2013, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > On Monday 19 August 2013 21:56:35 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > 3. ‘2’ ... why “two” if this is version 5? well, libplasma is actually
> > > going to be version 6 iirc, so it isn’t the library.
> >
> > Not that its relevant for the rest of the discussion, but as the library
> > number itself is concerned you can make it 5. And that's in fact my
> > preference as I'd like all our library numbers to be in sync for a change.
..
> yes, plasma2 has .so.5 atm, plasma1 is 4

Really? I’m getting this from master:

-- Installing: /opt/kde4/lib/libplasma.so.3.0.0

That’s also what I see in the openSuse packages.

So, yes, I got the # wrong .. it’s 3, not 5 currently .. so we’d end up with 4
unless we skip it go to 5. Still, the “number used in the name doesn’t match
the version number of <insert component here>” comment remains

It’s also made more complex once we look at things like kscreen which seems to
be at version 1.x; the more components we look at as part of the Plasma shell
the more version variance there is.

If we do end up using SDDM then it gets even more difficult as we don’t even
control the versioning of all the software.

Basically, I’m suggesting that naming the product after the version of the
software isn’t a necessity and may not even be possible unless we elevate one
specific component to be the “defining” component, which I don’t think we ought
to do.