[KDE] New public review on Improvements and enhancements for Plasma Media Center (Akshay Ratan)

Akshay Ratan akshayratan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 17:48:02 UTC 2013

> Hi,

>   Shantanu Tushar has left the following public review at
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/akshay_ratan/1#c5001:
>

> Good proposal overall, here are few things to fix-

Thanks a lot for the review ! :)

>    - "Add the feature of subtitles in the video player of PMC" is
>    misleading, better "Improve the subtitles feature in the video player of
>    PMC"

+ 1 ! Thanks for pointing this out. Yes, indeed it was seemingly
misleading. Improve is the better term.

>    - In "Improving playlist search", I get a feeling you want to improve
>    search overall, not just playlist. If its true, make the title not specific
>    to playlist.

+1

>    - The link and phrase "Plugin support example:https .." isn't clear.
>    What are you trying to show?

What I was trying to show is the existing backend support for Picasa in the
PMC. Polishing is needed in this as well as new dropbox extension would be
on similar lines using Accounts and SSO Framework.

>    - For Keyboard navigation, note that most TV remotes won't have both
>    Escape and Backspace keys. Most of them will have a "back" button that maps
>    to Escape. So try using only Escape.

Okay. Thank you for bringing this point. It might need a discussion before
finalizing. What I thought ( also in discussion with Sinny) was to make
each and every component of PMC keyboard-usable. For this, the best option
I thought was of using multiple keyboard keys which are common in other
applications. For instance, backspace key for going one level up. I didnt
really think in terms of TV Remotes. One naive doubt- from where can I find
the API to map TV Remote keys in Qt ? Does Qt::Key contains a key mapping
for remote ? (http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qt.html#Key-enum ) . I dont
have experience for tv remotes or other related mapping in Qt. Nevertheless
I am ready to study it if PMC demands it. Please guide me further on this
if possible.

>    - In Keyboard navigation, you have screenshots of existing not-so-good
>    behavior that we want to improve. We will need mockups  which will show the
>    solution/new workflow as well

In the second link of Mock test case in my idea of Keyboard navigation
plan, I have shown the solution in the form of images. Even in first , PMC
divisions have been shown in the image to clarify the divisions in which
TAB needs to be implemented and flow made. Which kind of further solution
mockups are needed ? I l try and add more workflows soon. Just 2 more exams
left ! Kindly tell me something more so that I can improve on this part.

Reference images-

*

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107169565/GSOC%20Proposal%20Images/PMC_1_tab.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107169565/GSOC%20Proposal%20Images/Escape%20Key%20effect%20image.jpg
*

>    - Clarification about documentation, the media center is supposed to
>    have an intuitive UI so that it will never need a user's manual or
>    something. However, you must keep in mind to keep your code documented
>    always.
>
> Yes, sure. Ideally there should not be any need for users manual or
something. What I really meant was to keep my code documented, and also
provide a certain level of documentation for new users on Computers and TV
if they wish to have one. Nevertheless, I will keep blogging about it
anyways. What else can be done on this > Any suggestions ?

>    - IMO you should swap the first two tasks of coding phase 1 and 2
>    because the ones in 2 are easier to get started with. This will help you
>    gain confidence if you complete these things earlier during the project.

I thought the same about the difficulty levels of the two phases . But my
intention was that since there are college holidays till end of July, I l
be in a better position to tackle problems and do intensive work in summer
holidays much more. Then after college reopens, I can work on a relatively
easier feature. I thought this initially though. Do you still recommend
switching the coding phases ?

>    - Another note, while you will develop separate features in branches.
>    You should merge a feature branch to master once that feature is complete
>    and reviewed. Do *NOT* wait for the end of the GSoC program to merge - its
>    very, very difficult for both the student and other devs who will review.

Okay, this thing was new to me :) Thanks ! Yes I will merge the individual
features on the way itself and not wait till the end.

Thanks a lot once again !

Looking forward for a valuable response :)

Cheers
*Akshay Ratan*
(akshay_r #plasma #kde-in )