Which settings should go in the settings dialog of a Plasmoid?

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Apr 11 15:46:19 UTC 2013

Hi Plasma and KDE Usability teams,
the KDE Telepathy team is currently facing a decision which I think calls for
being put into a broader context: Which settings should go in a settings
dialog of a Plasmoid?
Of course we have the Plasmoid-specific settings Keyboard Shortcut, Share and
maybe some other settings specific to the display and handling of the Plasmoid
itself.
However, many Plasmoids include settings in their settings dialog which affect
more than just the Plasmoid itself. Examples of this are Network Settings
Plasmoid featuring general network management settings, or the Removable
Devices settings in the Device Notifier Plasmoid's settings.
Another approach is to keep the actual Plasmoid settings dialog for settings
affecting only the Plasmoid itself and integrate a link to settings for the
broader context into their context menu (for example Digital Clock).
Yet other Plasmoids (e.g. Activity Switcher) do not link to related settings
at all.

I'd like to see more consistent behavior across Plasmoids in this regard, so
that users can form expectations on where they can find which settings.
Personally I don't have a clear favorite. As long as we do it more
consistently, either embedding in the Plasmoid settings or linking from the
context menu are okay with me.

So, which way do you guys prefer? When we've chosen one, I'd suggest writing
an HIG about this as the next step (which would then be applied by KTP).

Cheers,
Thomas