Saying Hello

Matthew McKeen mmckeen at ucla.edu
Sun Apr 7 05:01:54 UTC 2013

Hello everyone:

I am planning on applying for GSOC to do some work on KDE.  I've always
been around the KDE development community but haven't had much time to code
in the past due to life engagements. I've had a developer account sitting
around for a couple of years that I just recently logged in to, but I do
have code that is part of ownCloud and have some some little hacks on
Rekonq that never got to commit stage.  Hopefully GSOC can help me get back
involved in KDE development.

I was thinking of taking on the task of integrating Android into the
desktop. I don't know about all of you, but every time that I have to look
away from my computer screen when my phone plays its notification ping is
really a nuisance, and it would be nice if notifications, battery
information, or even media playback on an attached Android device could be
controlled from the desktop.  This implementation is actually not as hard
as it sounds based on some preliminary research of the Android accessory
API, but I believe it will require a service to be running on the
Android device itself in order to communicate with the desktop.

I wanted to know what the community thought of this idea before I went on
to further research and the drafting of a formal proposal.  Feel free to
comment.

Thanks,
Matthew McKeen

University of California at Los Angeles