KDE not usable in LTSP fat mode, too I/O traffic

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Sep 30 16:17:32 UTC 2012

> The problem I'm facing is also present in normal stand alone PC, but
> there has less impact since there is fewer I/O (something to
> investigate) and, more important, the I/O is faster.

why there is less I/O in a stand-alone would be nice to know. this includes
which components are causing the writing.

one thing that jumps to mind is, as you noted, is the cache files. i wonder if
those are either being re-written, or if they are being unecessary transfered
due to internals in KSharedDataCache (KSDC), etc. if there is some interaction
between KSDC and the mechanisms used to run the fat clients, it could be that
the contents of the caches are being transfered unecessarily for each and
every process that accesses them. that's a shot in the dark, though, and i'd
be a bit surprised if that was the cause.

really i don't know what we can do without more data as to what components are
accessing which files where on disk. strace may be able to help here.

it would also be interesting to know if stopping plasma-desktop with `kquitapp
plasma-desktop` and then restarting it in a running session reproduces the
problems, or if it is a one-time thing. there's also krunner, kwin, kded and a
few other processes that may be culprits if plasma-desktop only ends up being
part of the issue (or not really involved at all).