Git policy for kde-baseapps?

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 27 14:28:59 UTC 2012

Hi Ben,

2012/9/27 Ben Cooksley:
[...]
>>> Well, I found an answer to my own question at [1]. Basically, it says doing
>>> a rebase of the branch with the master and merging afterwards will prevent
>>> the duplicate log message:
>>>
>>> $ git co -b 4.9 origin/KDE/4.9
>>> $ git co -b master origin/master
>>> $ git rebase master 4.9
>>> $ git co master
>>> $ git merge 4.9
>>>
>>> Perhaps people with more intimate knowledge of git than I want to comment on
>>> the validity of above steps ? However, it seems to work just fine when I
>>> tested it against kde-baseapps:
>>
>> I think that this approach works fine for local branches, but can lead
>> to serious problems when used for branches which exist already on the
>> remote server.
>>
>> The problem is that "git rebase" changes the SHA1 hashes of all
>> commits that are rebased. When this rebased branch is then pushed to
>> the server (I don't know if that actually works without admin
>> permissions), the hashes of the commits in the remote branch on the
>> server and the hashes that the users who pulled earlier have in their
>> local clones of the repository don't match any more. I think that
>> users cannot pull the branch any more then without some manual hacking
>> of the repository state.
>
> Due to this issue, mainline KDE git repositories do not permit force
> pushes, unless a special exemption has been granted.
> Force pushes also create issues for our commit hooks, which depend on
> the sha hash not changing to detect commits already in the repository.

Thanks for this information! Quick question: Could it be that some
commit hooks are nonetheless executed when someone tries a force push,
even though the commits do not reach the remote repository at all?
This might explain why I sometimes receive commit mails for commits
which do not exist at all, see, e.g.,

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-commits&m=134632916023074&w=2

Try clicking the link in that mail to see that the commit really does not exist.

Best regards,
Frank