Git policy for kde-baseapps?

Dawit A adawit at kde.org
Wed Sep 26 17:35:36 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Frank Reininghaus <
frank78ac at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dawit,
>
> 2012/9/26 Dawit A:
> > I still do not see how this can work cleanly. People commit changes in
> > master and then backport them to the 4.9 branch. Which BTW was by far the
> > most common workflow before the switch over to git. As an example if you
> > attempt to 'merge'  kde-baseapps 4.9 branch into master right now, you
> will
> > get a duplicate log entry for the following commit which has been
> > cherry-picked into the 4.9 branch from master:
> >
> > commit 8c4fa6e03b6b6acedf3a03eef5347f38680818fe
> > Author: Emmanuel Pescosta <emmanuelpescosta099 at gmail.com>
> > Date:   Wed Sep 12 19:33:28 2012 +0200
> >
> >     Fixes Bug 305783 - dragging a file over a directory #c4
> >          does not expand the dir => Bug discovered: When you drag a
> >          item onto a folder-view-item and then move it away
> >          instantly before the autoactivation event is triggered
> >          (After 750ms), the folder will be opened anyway.
> >
> >     BUG: 305783
> >     REVIEW: 106381
> >     FIXED-IN: 4.9.2
> >     (cherry picked from commit 9ab8bcd6aa3ce5d96ee380d5f22d77c2f0a38881)
>
> I think it has just been overlooked first that this commit is safe
> enough to go into the 4.9 branch. I was the one who encouraged
> Emmanuel to commit that fix to 4.9 as well. If you first fix something
> in master and later decide that it can also be pushed to 4.9, I see no
> other option but to cherry-pick.
>
> > How can that be resolved or do we live with the duplicate log entries ?
>
> I don't know how to avoid a duplicate entry in that case. But given
> the big mess of duplicate entries that we had in the past every time
> someone decided to merge, I think that a single duplicate entry is
> something that we can probably live with.

Well, I found an answer to my own question at [1]. Basically, it says doing
a rebase of the branch with the master and merging afterwards will prevent
the duplicate log message:

$ git co -b 4.9 origin/KDE/4.9
$ git co -b master origin/master
$ git rebase master 4.9
$ git co master
$ git merge 4.9

Perhaps people with more intimate knowledge of git than I want to comment
on the validity of above steps ? However, it seems to work just fine when I
tested it against kde-baseapps:

$ git rebase master 4.9
First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
Applying: SVN_SILENT made messages (.desktop file)
Applying: When user requests to open bookmark urls in a new window or tab,
filter the
Applying: Fix crash when receiving Nepomuk info for a recently deleted file.
Applying: Fixed CTRL+Tab not working when using Dolphin's filemanagement
part in Konqueror.
Applying: Do not crash when the apply/ok button is pressed after the
defaults button when site specific policies present
Applying: Fix a Bug in KFileItemModelRolesUpdate::setEnabledPlugins.

$ git br
* 4.9
  master
  work

$ git co master
Switched to branch 'master'

$ git merge 4.9
Updating d06163e..3ee40a3
Fast-forward
 dolphin/src/kitemviews/kfileitemmodelrolesupdater.cpp | 9 ++++++++-
 dolphin/src/kitemviews/kitemlistview.cpp              | 2 ++
 konqueror/settings/kio/kcookiespolicies.cpp           | 1 +
 konqueror/settings/kio/proxy.desktop                  | 1 +
 konqueror/src/konqmainwindow.cpp                      | 9 +++++----

$ git log origin/master..
commit 3ee40a3c7063e8053cc87b2e9bd8f3a321e67949
    Fix a Bug in KFileItemModelRolesUpdate::setEnabledPlugins.
    Changes were never overtaken because of a wrong comparison.

    FIXED-IN: 4.9.2

commit 2848b923ddeb65c4dcb5b469c4ac6f0e9a204eb9
Author: Dawit Alemayehu <adawit at kde.org>
Date:   Wed Sep 26 10:28:11 2012 -0400

    Do not crash when the apply/ok button is pressed after the defaults
button when site specific policies present

commit e95e336767ba9c4d761fdb9f356dd6d78ad01c16
    Fixed CTRL+Tab not working when using Dolphin's filemanagement part in
Konqueror.

    BUG: 302329
    FIXED-IN: 4.9.2
    REVIEW: 106569

commit 38e3b55b480cb586ccc65c7661775185ddca0c22
    Fix crash when receiving Nepomuk info for a recently deleted file.

    BUG: 306036
    FIXED-IN: 4.9.2

commit 4fb0e0a9235b88df409a3718e75f606e56039b6f
Author: Dawit Alemayehu <adawit at kde.org>
Date:   Sun Sep 23 02:42:55 2012 -0400

    When user requests to open bookmark urls in a new window or tab, filter
the
    URLs before opening them.

    BUG: 145873
    FIXED-IN: 4.9.2

commit 689108b0f37d9ac6f54261f5b94f623e3e63d448
Author: Script Kiddy <scripty at kde.org>
Date:   Sat Sep 22 17:32:41 2012 +0200

[1]
http://davitenio.wordpress.com/2008/09/27/git-merge-after-git-cherry-pick-avoiding-duplicate-commits/