plasma2 and ToolTipManager

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Sep 26 15:24:05 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 17:10:49 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 15:35:26 Marco Martin wrote:
> >> comments?
> >
> > Sounds straightforward to do. Do we need WM support for the placement?
>
> only thing it would need an access to the good old corona
> popupPosition function, so that function would probably have to be
> moved somewhere else (same thing applies for Dialog)
> to implement such function is basically needed access to screen
> coordinates and screen geometry

right, and this is shell specific as to what that even means. (remember that we
have a KPart too :)

we'll need some mechanism to get to this information, and wherever we place it
it will need to be available to things such as tooltips and dialogs ... as
long as we talk about Plasma code only, i'm not sure what better place than
the Corona related to the Containment/Applet in question there is.

but the real complication comes from the fact that we'd like to make the
tooltips available to other applications ... ones which won't have a Corona.
so this information will still need to be provided by the shell/application
itself .. we may end up with an interface which applications can reimplement
or just instantiate to get the default behaviour, which Corona itself
subclasses or aggregates so it can be customized in behaviour.

question is how to make this visible to components that need it, and that
sounds a lot like needing a singleton ... if we can get away with an
application global singleton it's simple. but the case where there may be
multiple Coronas in the same app (think about the KPart :) that might not be
true.

fun .. :)