Behavior on systray icon clicking

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Tue Sep 25 11:37:45 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 25 September 2012 12:56:40 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 13:33:11 Kåre Särs wrote:
> > I have spacial memory
>
> this is a basic part of human cognitive abilities. even toddlers who can
> only crawl exhibit it :)

What I mean is that people are different. Some people remember places better
and others remember names better. I almost never use krunner because I don't
necessarily remember the name of the application/documentand every time I type
a name wrong I have to go back and try again until i get the name right. For
_me_ the old-style start-menu and file-browser is more optimal. I remember
better "where" I placed the things visually.

> > I don't use
> > grouping of windows because I can use the taskbar-items to select all my
> > individual windows with just _one_ mouse click.
>
> that's orthogonal.
No it is not orthogonal. System tray icons/applications do not move and are
not mixed with the other items -> really fast to find. Again the placement is
important for my workflow.

> regardless, having systray entries merged with their taskbar entries means
> you could get to ALL the applications functions from the same place. (and
> yes, still with "just one click" to the window). therefore this idea
> shouldn't worry you.

> i doubt we will make it optional in the default plasmoid unless someone can
> demonstrate a compelling reason why the feature could be detrimental to
> usage.
>
> (the tasks widget already has more than enough options as it is .. we don't
> need to add more and more. eventually we would have a complete mess.)

Well that is why I hope it will be easier to implement additional applets.

> > For those that don't have spacial memory
>
> which is ~0% of the current human population
Again this is not about total lack of spacial memory but people that remember
names better than places.

/Kåre