How Can I change wallpaper from CLI?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Sep 5 21:28:03 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, September 05, 2012 22:28:03 Giuseppe Calà wrote:
> Actually, it is possible to change all kde settings with kwriteconfig
> command tool; f.i.
>
> kwriteconfig --file plasma-desktop-appletsrc --group Containments
> --group # --group Wallpaper --group image --key wallpaper --type
> string /path/to/file/image
>
> As Nicolas stated, plasma has more containments and you need to get
> the correct group number and replace # in the command above.

That will only work if Plasma is not running, as it won't re-read its config
file automatically when it changes on disk.

The right way to do it is get the patch from
https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/105319/ in and have it available as simple
dbus call from everywhere.

I think there's only one small problem with the patch left (API needs a small
cleanup) and then it can go into master and 4.10.

sebas