How Can I change wallpaper from CLI?

Weng Xuetian wengxt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 14:23:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 9:48 AM, kevinzhow <kevinchou.c at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello~
>
> Sorry to brother,I don not know which channel should i send this mail exactly , so i send this mail to kde, kde-devel and ode-core-devel, but i really need this help,  please
>
> i am a developer of an application which can do browse online gallery and change the desktop wallpaper。You can find it at (http://lovebizhi.com/linux)
>
> but when i tried  to support KDE I cannot find a possible way to change the wallpaper in CLI such like ( kde-wallpaper set file://xxxxx )
>
> Please give me some tips about this
>
> Thank you

KDE can have multiple activity, and every activity can have different
wallpaper (even different plugin). And wallpaper is supported via
plasma plugin.
So I would suggest you to implement a wallpaper plugin to do this,
which can even gives you more freedom for control.

Some tutorials are here.
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma#Wallpapers

Otherwise you can only use some hack way to modify kconfig
(kwriteconfig / kreadconfig via CLI, or using code) . I'm not sure
which key will work for the default plugin.

CC plasma-devel.