using device targets in qml plasmoids

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Oct 24 12:58:32 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 13:58:19 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:16:37 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 11:41:17 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > thoughts?
> >
> > I think screensize/layout and input method should stay separate things.
>
> agreed; the way this would be done in the plasmoid package is components
> that  are for touch (input interaction) go into touch/ and components
> specific to a screen format such as tablet would go into tablet/ (form
> factor)
>
> so on a tablet the search path becomes tablet -> touch -> contents
>
> on a handset it might become widget -> touch -> contents
>
> on a desktop it might become widget -> desktop -> contents
>
> this would be achieved by setting PLASMA_PLATFORM to "tablet:touch",
> "widget:touch" and "widget:desktop" respectively
>
> so the hierarchy would essentially be: Form Factor Specific -> Input Method
> Specific -> Universal assets
>
> this means we need to define what the valid combinations and names are and
> settle on them so that people can reliably write UIs

Hm, yes, assuming that the system transparently falls back to the "generic" if
nothing specific is given. widget is not needed I think, but we could
standardize the set of layouts.

I've also found that I don't need touch-specific stuff in the app code itself,
the input specific things are already sorted in PlasmaComponents, using those,
I didn't need a single touch-specific widget. So input is solved at the
"toolkit" level, layout is solved at app level.
--
sebas