un-NIH-ing accounts?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Oct 7 19:43:34 UTC 2012

hi all :)

thanks to a bit of internet sillyness on the blog planets, i became aware of
this:

	http://code.google.com/p/accounts-sso

is anyone familiar with it at all? looked into it as a possible solution for
our Accounts needs, etc?

seems it is used in Ubuntu these days, actively developed and it has Qt
libraries ... was originally done for maemo/meego, so it is tested as well.

a downside is that the API in the libraries is pretty low quality and some of
the classes are poorly documented (or even not at all).

however, i think it is worth us looking at if only because it would mean we'd
avoid fragmenting the accounts/sso space even more while potentially saving us
a lot of effort.

it almost certainly does not have all the design concepts we talked about at
akademy. so we'll want to come up with a pro's and con's list .. though that
means someone looking into it.

anyone up to building and trying out the various packages to see how well it
does/doesn't work out of the box on a desktop system?