[RFC] Trigger KRunner on top screenedge

Jacopo De Simoi wilderkde at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 10:24:36 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 03 October 2012 13:44:06 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> just wanted some feedback on an idea I got today. What about binding the
> showing of KRunner on hitting the top screen edge?
>
> Given that KRunner slides in from the top edge it would end up in a neat
> functionality, throw the cursor against the edge and down comes KRunner.
> Maybe even centered at the cursor position?
>
> I don't think that the top screen edge would conflict with anything else.
> When using for quick-maximization of maximized windows the action would not
> be triggered anyway and for grabbing a maximized window to move it away it
> would not matter either as you have to push against the edge.
>
> So opinions? Should I add support for that in KWin? It's pretty trivial :-)

I am using a virtualbox on a macbook as my work/devel machine (yes, that
hurts) and the Mac menu bar pops up every time I hit the top border with the
mouse. I find it most irritating, since the menu bar is totally useless for
me, but on the other hand I sometimes try to hit the top border to trigger
krunner because I feel like “something” should happen.

In short: i have mixed feelings about it; sorting out exceptions could prove
to be quite difficult indeed. Let's add the feature and see how it goes. ;)

__J