share-like-connect in 4.10

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 18:24:56 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > yep, those are the two most relevant points (many plugins btw will depend
>> > from the web accounts system is being developed)
>>
>> Because making SLC default, we really need to have a few plugins, and a
>> good tutorial of how create them.
>
> yes, both things are needed (help welcome :p)
>
>> We don't want to expose something by default that doesn't allow to do too
>> much, it may cause users to remove SLC because "it does nothing" and cause
>> a horrible chain effect.
>
> this is in part true, but at the moment there is the other face of the medal
> that outweights it:
> if we are waiting that "magically" it gets ready before putting it in front of
> people, simply won't happen, ever.

You don't need to push something on the general public in order to get
developers involved.

Instead of waiting "magically", you can :
 - blog about it
 - make releases outside kde-workspace
 - get PPAs (and other OS equivalent) for testers of the software for
people who want to use it.

Then you can build up to something actually ready before you push it
on the mass users.

I've done this (effectively) with my past two main projects, and it
worked out well for me. If you have something worthwhile, people will
join you voluntarily not joining simply because they have to fix their
own desktop.

> I agree that it should have a minimum level of functionality a bit more than
> the current one (not that much, btw), but also anything that delays having it
> ready, is just self hurting.
> a good balance can be:
> * identify the most urgent work items to make it have a minimum functionality
> (everything that can be added in a second release, should be postponed,
> wanting it perfect now just makes it never done)
> * make it a dependency, installed by default, and enabled by default on master
> * if for the limit set for 4.10 won't be enough, it will be removed from the
> default setup, but still shipped and installed
> * if will actually end up on by default for 4.10 -> party, otherwise will be
> reenabled immediately after master reopens
>
> how does it sounds for feasible? ;)

I also want to see this discussed properly on kde-devel and
kde-usability. It was mentioned on kde-devel, and as I recall it was
met with "what's SLC?" to which nobody replied.
I'm certainly not convinced by the design on the desktop, I might be
in the minority or that could be the general opinion. Either way you
need to confirm with the wider community before pushing a change.

Dave