Display Configuration KCM design review

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 14:41:18 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 03 October 2012, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:

> > > One potential problem with the Plasma monitor is light glares are going
> > > to be all messed up if the screen is rotated, especially the one on
> > > the screen itself. Maybe something along the line of attached mockup
> > > would fit? (only, drawn by an artist) The led is a cue about the
> > > orientation of the screen (and you can use a dimmed one if the screen
> > > is disabled).
> >
> > the monitor shouldn't be rotated at all (no graphics is going to appear
> > correct or decent once rotated, really :p), just resized to the proper
> > size, that would be a rectangle taller than wide.
>
> You will get distorted glares nevertheless... this may look good enough
> though, but I believe an abstract-enough representation can look good
> rotated.

there is a reflection in the middle of the screen that is a separate element,
so it may or may not be used (is a diagonal of the monitor rectangle and
pretty weak, i think it goes well at basically any ratio, but can be just not
painted)

there is also a bit of effect in the screen border, that would stretch to stay
at half screen.
not sure is a bad thing. if it is, the monitor svg may be modified to either
not have reflection in the monitor border, or to stay with an unscaled height.

Over the years with plasma themes we basically already had and solved all
those problems, is really the same: doing a rounded rectangle thing that looks
good at any proportion, optional overlay/glass effects that may look scaled,
unscaled, tiled, scaled only for width, only for height...

> > as your svg a svg element representing a power led may be added and drawn
> > on the right position to give more hint on how the monitor is rotated.
>
> Isn't this likely to break with other themes? I am not sure there is a
> reliable way to get the correct offset in all cases.

it would simply not be there, and that's not serious, shouldn't be an element
the ui has to rely on to make sense anyways.
since the borders have a fixed size, is easy to make the thing in a way that
looks correct if the thing is put in a corner

> > a problem with that is that it may suggest that led is a button and may
> > be clicked somehow
>
> I didn't envision this led to be big enough to be mistaken for an
> interactive control, but if it is made big enough, maybe it can be used to
> replace the "enabled" checkbox?

don't know, it may be the level in which it becomes too much skeu :p

Cheers,
Marco Martin