Getting notifications in the plasma widget

Robin Atwood robin at binro.org
Mon Oct 1 16:06:50 UTC 2012

On Monday 01 Oct 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday, October 1, 2012 22:35:41 Robin Atwood wrote:
> > Oh yes, it´s not that old!
>
> ok :) so that leave very few reasons for this not working.
>
> if other applications using the same kdelibs are showing their popup
> notifications in the notification plasmoid, then the knotify4 daemon sees
> the dbus service and is using it. as soon as that happens, ALL popup
> notifications go through the dbus service and NO KPassivePopup windows are
> created.
>
> (see kde-runtime/knotify/notifybypopup.cpp)
>
> so ... what could be going wrong?
>
> my best gues is that your app is not be connecting to knotify4 (or to a
> different knotify4 than the one running in your desktop session; that could
> plausibly happen if running the application as a different user)
>
> it may be worth killing knotify4 and starting it again from a konsole and
> seeing what sort of debug output you get when the notifications from your
> app trigger. or .. seeing if there is more than one knotify process
> running in the first place :)

OK, I think I know what the problem is. The app is for monitoring system
services and must run as root to be able to do anything. There are two
knotifys running, one as my user and one as root. I guess there is no way to
connect the root knotify to the user widget? But I can run the app as my user
and do the service stops/starts with sudo. Then I get the popups in the panel
widget.

Thanks!
-Robin
Robin Atwood.