[RFC] New (QML) Desktop Containment

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Nov 23 10:21:00 UTC 2012

On Thursday, November 22, 2012 17:11:56 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> So for many workflows, we rely quite heavily on the desktop being unlocked.

indeed. locking the desktop introduces a separation between functions.
axiomatically, it removes functionality. that's the point of it. and when
removing functionality two things happen:

* you can do less
* you are confronted with fewer controls (access to actions)

one possibility is to provide a toggle switch that exposes more functionality.
this is the same underlying concept behind "simple" and "advanced" user modes.

and i think that's the root of the problem. some actions are seen as "too
much" (visually, interaction skill, etc.) and so "lock desktop" has become a
simple/advanced modality switch for some people.

btw, the lock function is actually the kiosk mode exposed. it was never
developed for its use as a feature separate from that. i regret exposing it at
this point because it has become a simple/advanced mode switch and has caused
some to decide that instead of solving the actual issues with the full UI to
try and split it into modes. this creates new problems, several of which
you've enumerated.

my suggestion is that instead of creating a new solution that works around the
actual problems (by hiding them under the rug) and just creates new
inneficiencies and problems of its own .. we should identify what would be good
to improve and require of ourselves that we come up with solutions that do not
involve modes.

it's going to be just as much work to get a modal system into a highly
functional state as it will be to improve the current non-modal (by default,
anyways) implementation. putting that effort into modal will result in an
inferior by design result.

so please, back away from the crack pipe of "just lock things by default!" and
consider the actual issues that need resolving and let's work on them one by
one.

if at the end of the exercise we find that there is no way to produce a
satisfactorily working system without modes, then we can consider that. but
nobody has gone down that road yet.

> Viewing it from this angle, would probably also mean to streamline which
> actions are offered in which mode.

or just don't have modes. all the problems you enumerate come from trying to
solve the problems of movement and "applet handles are not pretty" with modes.