Introducing Homerun

Nuno Pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Tue Nov 13 12:33:35 UTC 2012

A Terça, 13 de Novembro de 2012 13:02:43 Marco Martin escreveu:
> On Tuesday 13 November 2012, Nuno Pinheiro wrote:
> > A Terça, 13 de Novembro de 2012 11:21:34 Marco Martin escreveu:
> > > It would be something that looks way less cluttered than kickoff, but
> > > with not many regressions
> >
> > +++++++++++ 1 also we need to think about some intrudutory videos to kde
> > somtimes we wont ve able make all things in kde instantly discoverable if
> > they are a bit outside the way users are used to usualy use an
> > app/feature...
>
> yep, agree that a series of videos would be quite useful (a potential
> problem of videos tough is that the quality level they stop to look
> amateurish is pretty high)

yeap :( videos require alot of difrent skils. Its incredibly easy to look like
just another youtube spamer.

> We are having the same problem in active: different concepts from what one
> may be used to, so oddly i was having exactly the same conversation with
> Aaron the last week on how solve that, how make a simple way to show users
> how to do something.
> An idea that came up is some kind of interactive tutorial  (i just have some
> proof of concept code, nothing really working yet) when a ui is in QML, it
> may be actually not too hard to do.
>
> It must of course be something explicitly lauched by the user (if is on the
> first run/mandatory the first thing one looks for is the skip button :p)
>
> With a 100% qml interface a thing that is possible to do is to put an
> overlay on top of the whole scene, that tells messages, like "click on this
> text field and write foo to search for it", "drag this slider trough its
> whole length".
>
> There are ways in which this qml scene of the tutorial can have access to
> the objects of the actual ui.
>
> So it may notice when the user actually did the suggested operation, for
> instance by checking the text in that search field, then when the criteria
> of actions to do are met, the tutorial goes to the next step and so on.
> Basically like the first level of any videogame.
>
> Now, a videogame is a radically different kind of app (and one approaches to
> it in a different way), so is not 100% sure the concept will translate
> smoothly and there can be some mayor difficulties to work around,
> especially on the desktop.
> It may be worth trying with something simple tough ;)

Yes this is interesting stuf... The key thing here is how do we pull it of
without anying the user to bits... and caling him stupid, a great portion of
our user base feals that we call them that every time we hint anything a bit
more obviusly...
So the trick IMO passes through hinting new fetures only enough that the user
finds out the rest by himself, so he feals smart and not stupid.