Introducing Homerun

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 13 10:23:00 UTC 2012

On Monday, November 12, 2012 17:02:41 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Le dimanche 11 novembre 2012 12:02:58 Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> > On Friday, November 9, 2012 23:09:35 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > > As you can see, it is a fullscreen launcher with content organized in
> > > tabs.
> >
> > i find it to be a very interesting approach, and one that imho has
> > potential.
> >
> > there are a number of visual issues right now and a few usability ones. if
> > you could let us know what sort of feedback would be helpful to you, or
> > alternatively when such feedback would be useful, i'd be happy to write
> > more on this ...
>
> We are happy to receive any feedback on both appearance and ergonomics. I
> know some parts of Homerun definitely need more work, the configure editor
> for example is quite clunky: the goal was to have something
> feature-complete, but it is painful to use right now.
>
> > i think with some additional work, this could make a useful replacement
> > for
> > kickoff in a future release.
>
> Nice!
>
> > i'm a little sad that the early work of making a QML SaL has been lost,
> > however. that seems like a bit of a lost opportunity. is there any earlier
> > work on this goal that can be salvaged, or did the objectives get changed
> > almost instantly from the beginning?
>
> The original kde-workspace branch is still available on
> plasma/sreich/sal-qml. When I joined the project I was told the goal was to
> make an alternative launcher rather than a 1:1 port of SaL.
>
> > > One of the main differences between Homerun sources and Plasma runners
> > > is
> > > that sources can provide default content
> >
> > as can runners (for many releases now). a Runner can define its default
> > syntax, and that can then be used to get the default content from it by
> > passing that syntax in to the match method. this is how KRunner shows
> > content by default when pulling up a specific running in "single runner
> > mode".
>
> Oh. I was not aware of this. I never ran KRunner in "single runner mode",
> how does one do it?

You can see which runners are available for single runner mode with:

	qdbus org.kde.krunner /App singleModeAdvertisedRunnerIds

Then pick one and do:

	qdbus org.kde.krunner /App displaySingleRunner bookmarks

(replace "bookmarks" with the runner of your choice.

> * Models
> A Runner exposes its results as a QList<Plasma::QueryMatch>. A source model
> is a Qt model, which is more QML-friendly and can be more efficient to
> propagate changes.

krunnermodel, a Qt model that comes with a QML component plugin (so you can
just import and use it directly) is in kde-runtime/plasma/declarativeimports

> * Favorites
> Right now Homerun supports two kinds of favorites: favorite applications and
> favorite places, a source model can use the favoriteId role to make its
> item "favoritable".

We've been doing this since the first SAL using QueryMatch::id(). There is also
RunnerManager::mimeData() which gets you something that is draggable, even.

> * Browsable models
> If you list the content of a dir

I would stick to the standard directory listing model for this rather than
invent something new. Search returns from a Runner may return a directory;
click on that could then be handled using a dir model.

> Furthermore, the source model can expose a PathModel to represent the
> current position in the hierarchy tree.

Not sure this at all maps to the idea of search returns; this is more for file
browsing from what I can see in the UI?