Plasma ApplicationWindow component proposal.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 29 11:51:14 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 13:34:12 Mark wrote:
> This is a separate project to allow Windows in Plasma QML.

ok, as a separate project, i think this makes sense. i'll try to find time to
discuss implementation and API later .. but maybe we should finish tooltips
first? :)

> The added benefit is that tooltip control becomes much easier and that's
> why i bring this up now. If this gets accepted then i make the tooltips
> dependent on it.

i don't think an application window and a tooltip window will have much useful
overlap.

i am tempted to say "use Dialog" but .. i like that Dialog remains very
purpose specific so we don't need to try and make it do too many tricks at the
same time.

so maybe the answer is "re-use Dialog", or rather the code behind it. it does
pretty much everything needed (blur, borders, etc.) i recommend implementing
such a window class in C++ that is made available to QML inside the tooltips
implementation. that way we don't have to worry too much about upfront design
questions: make it work well for tooltips. then we can see what that ends up
looking like and either base a design off of that or even lift that code out
directly and promote it to a shared QML component.