Workspace Next Sprint Organization

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed May 16 13:57:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> it:
>
> * Methodology:
>  - current vision, ideas, concepts and terminology: are we thinking the same
> thing when we say a thing?
>  - identify user scenarios, what do you want to do, why and in what situation
> in the machine (example: being at work on a document while discussing about it
> simultaneously on email, chat and audio call)
>  - what in current suituation of things matches with this?
>  - what doesn't?
>  - personality switch: try to answer the problem without looking at other
> answers.. "because it works on OSX" or even "because it works on Plasma
> Desktop" are not valid answers ;)
>  - personality switch: why the solution of other system does work/why it
> doesn't work?
>  - Collect high level points of intent, like
>    - natural feeling ui
>    - few user interruptions
>    - settings always correct for what i'm doing now
>    - right level of mono/multitasking in different situations (complete
> dedication to a task vs listening mucic/glancing over news items while
> working)
>    - ...
>  - Collect user scenarions, like
>    - working on a document while talking about it
>    - doing a presentation
>    - doing a call
>    - ...
>  - what are possible sub tasks, more detailed (note: still nothing to do with
> implementation) of those points we collected?
>

> *Tasks examples (but not limited to it)
>    * Organic ui
>      - transitions
>      - realistic light effects
>      - ...
>
>    * Efficience in doing tasks
>    - think in steps required to do a task, not just in "launching
> applications" (that is just an aspect of it)
>    - what is and what should be the boundary between what is an app and what
> is the workspace
>    - generic "information flow" of everything that i see on the screen (so
> yes, include applications switching, not limited to it)
>
>    * Activities:
>    - what are the scenarios and the problem they are designed to solve
>    - what are the ui-wise problems in them right now?
>      - A possible one: gulf of execution
> (http://cyborganthropology.com/UX_Glossary#Gulf_of_Execution)
>      - How to reduce it?
>
>    * Hardware integration
>    - when to turn on/off bluetooth, audio level, camera?
>    - what to do if i attach a screen? a beamer?
>    - what to do if i disconnect to office wifi and connect to home wifi?
>    - ...
>
>    * And many others
>
> * How to do those?
>    * Write an updated version of what is now "ways of the plasma", ui
> guidelines etc
>    * identify where the work has to be done for an abstract task item:
> bluedevil? libplasma? qml components? tasks applet?
>    * actual coding/documenting/coding tasks up for grab ;)

We could do with a wiki page with a basic list of possible agenda
items (starting with this list).
This email is just going to get drowned out in the large volume of
other traffic in this thread, which is a million miles away from the
original subject.

If anything this thread has highlighted that there are unclear visions
and terminologies. I've never seen that vision before, which implies
that few others wanting to get more involved in the workspace will
have.

I'm still none-the-wiser as to where the workspace ends, and
applications start. Only a month or two ago there was a thread on
Plasma about application status bars, and I was told that is part of
the workspace. Each reader probably has an opinion but we could do
with getting it settled and defined.

>    * Write an updated version of what is now "ways of the plasma", ui
> guidelines etc

This will be a great task to do with Bjorn around (to give a
definitive view). I actually already have a draft list, which we can
go through and work upon. I know there's already a UI guidelines for
plasma active, but this doesn't transfer 100% to the desktop.