Workspace Next Sprint Organization

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Wed May 16 13:05:03 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 01:04:13 PM Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> an answer to "finding alex's email" is not "manage applications".
Good point.

> an answer to "turn my computer off" is not "manage applications".
Not a valid example, I never turn off my computer (suspend) and even if I did
I turn off the computer once a day.

> an answer to "have my music volume be appropriate to what i'm doing on the
> system (e.g. mute it when i get an incoming call on mumble / jabber /
> googletalk / etc)" is not "manage applications".
Good point, though we don't need an interface for this.

> an answer to "how do i organize my information, which is the reason i turned
> on this damn thing in the first place, so that it reflects what i'm most
> interest in" is not "manage applications"
Well this is a need you believe people have, in my case I do but I'm not sure
if the the average user have this problem.

Is there any user story written? which kind of users are we targeting?

Do you think that Penny[1] needs to organize information?

> > A user that only wants to watch lolcats on youtube and talk to friends via
> > facebook doesn't.
>
> > A user that use the computer for multiple things or in multiple areas
> > (work, home) may want to.
>
> which is more common, which do we want to design for? is one a super-set of
> the other? if so, can we design for that super-set of needs?
Well imho there are more people from the first group than for the second, most
people I know don't want to use computers but they do because they need them
to ex: play games, surf web, write documents, etc No doubts they will change
the computer for something simpler when the alternative exists.

The need of "having to organize information" implies having information to
organize, most people only have few mp3, few videos and few documents.

> > The workspace should be extensible by third party developers and thus
> > should be able to integrate their applications with it not mattering on
> > which technology the application is written.
>
> sounds good to me .. we've also tried to focus on "easy" so that we avoid
> something super duper flexble and extensible but also too hard to make
> things for preventing people from doing so; we've also tried to focus on
> "produces nice results" so that people feel rewarded for their efforts (sth
> kicker failed at imho, resulting in orders of magnitude fewer addons for it
> compared to plasma)
Yay we agree on something! xD step by step :p

[1] http://community.kde.org/NetworkManagement#Persona_2:_Penny