Workspace Next Sprint Organization

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed May 16 13:06:58 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 16 May 2012, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:54:16 PM Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > there was something started quite some time ago by .. i forget who? ..
here:
> According to the history of the page, by you.
>
> > 	http://community.kde.org/Plasma/TheWaysOfThePlasma
> >
> > there are other bits spread around the wiki there as well. i am fully
> > supportive of streamlining and updating the text.
>
> This is something we need to do so we can work on them before, during and
> after the sprint.

So, those are some my random toughts about a possible methodology.
may or may not make sense, just quick mind map done while i was thinking about
it:

* Methodology:
  - current vision, ideas, concepts and terminology: are we thinking the same
thing when we say a thing?
  - identify user scenarios, what do you want to do, why and in what situation
in the machine (example: being at work on a document while discussing about it
simultaneously on email, chat and audio call)
  - what in current suituation of things matches with this?
  - what doesn't?
  - personality switch: try to answer the problem without looking at other
answers.. "because it works on OSX" or even "because it works on Plasma
Desktop" are not valid answers ;)
  - personality switch: why the solution of other system does work/why it
doesn't work?
  - Collect high level points of intent, like
    - natural feeling ui
    - few user interruptions
    - settings always correct for what i'm doing now
    - right level of mono/multitasking in different situations (complete
dedication to a task vs listening mucic/glancing over news items while
working)
    - ...
  - Collect user scenarions, like
    - working on a document while talking about it
    - doing a presentation
    - doing a call
    - ...
  - what are possible sub tasks, more detailed (note: still nothing to do with
implementation) of those points we collected?

*Tasks examples (but not limited to it)
    * Organic ui
      - transitions
      - realistic light effects
      - ...

    * Efficience in doing tasks
    - think in steps required to do a task, not just in "launching
applications" (that is just an aspect of it)
    - what is and what should be the boundary between what is an app and what
is the workspace
    - generic "information flow" of everything that i see on the screen (so
yes, include applications switching, not limited to it)

    * Activities:
    - what are the scenarios and the problem they are designed to solve
    - what are the ui-wise problems in them right now?
      - A possible one: gulf of execution
(http://cyborganthropology.com/UX_Glossary#Gulf_of_Execution)
      - How to reduce it?

    * Hardware integration
    - when to turn on/off bluetooth, audio level, camera?
    - what to do if i attach a screen? a beamer?
    - what to do if i disconnect to office wifi and connect to home wifi?
    - ...

    * And many others

* How to do those?
    * Write an updated version of what is now "ways of the plasma", ui
guidelines etc
    * identify where the work has to be done for an abstract task item:
bluedevil? libplasma? qml components? tasks applet?
    * actual coding/documenting/coding tasks up for grab ;)

Ideas?
opinions?

Cheers,
Marco Martin