Workspace Next Sprint Organization

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed May 16 08:04:35 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 16 May 2012, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:07:08 AM Björn Balazs wrote:
> > Have you been aware of this vision?
>
> No.
>
> > If no: looking back would it have been helpful for your work if you had
> > known it (and how)?
>
> No (I don't see how to apply it on Bluedevil / RandR / Kamoso).
>
> > Is it too general / just right / too specific?
>
> I think it is focused on the shell while we are working towards a
> workspace, which includes more things than the shell (working out a
> definition for workspace would be nice too).
>
> > Is there anything missing or unnecessary in it?
>
> I'm surprised that the word "application" doesn't appear even once, the
> most basic thing to do with the shell is switching and launching
> applications. Once that is done in a excellent way, then we can think on
> how complement it.

probably because one of the goals was always getting away with the traditional
"application centric" paradigm (contrary to the other tendencies of making a
big iphone launcher the center of the workspace ;), putting in the center
instead activities and resources (not necessarily files, a bit beyond the
other usual one, the document centric ui) so if something gets open by an
"application" or a workspace components, or what is what becomes a not too
relevant question.

is something that is still miles from being realized, and unsurprisingly
enough is a bit more complete on plasma active (no legacy there)

that's just to clarify a bit of why of the design

Cheers,
Marco Martin