problems with theme shadows in initPixmap("shadow-top") lead to krunner crashing

Marius Cirsta mforce2 at gmail.com
Tue May 8 21:59:25 UTC 2012

Hi Aaron,

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 8, 2012 17:46:39 Marius Cirsta wrote:
>>  Hi
>>
>> First of all sorry for posting here, not sure if it's the right list
>> to post to but seems like there's dev activity here.
>> I'm a maintainer for Qt and KDE for less known distro, Frugalware.
>>
>> Ever since the latest upgrade to glibc 2.15 we've had krunner crashing
>> on start with bad_alloc.
>
> thanks for the sleuthwork.. very helpful when someone does the sort of work
> you've done.

No problem, thanks for all your work all these years, after all that's
why it's open source  and nor some close source crap so that people
can contribute. Besides it was interesting debugging it anyway,
learned a lot of things and KDE code is pretty simple and clean, it's
readable by human beings as opposed to some other c++ code I've seen
which scared me.

> does the attached patch help when applied to kde-workspace?

I'm not sure, it's not that easy to test right now as I've also fixed
that theme that cause the issue and there's also some kind of caching
involved but I'm almost 100% sure that the patch you suggest will fix
it. I've put in attached  patch and it was good with this broken theme
:

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Glassified?content=81388
 but I've heard reports that Androbit and probably others cause this bug too.

I'm testing for width() and height() but isNull is probably better and
should work the same.

 In the long run though I think maybe some kind of theme validation or
something along those lines should be implemented, I'm not really sure
what the consequences of having a theme that's missing these or other
elements are.