Review Request: KMix Declarative Applet - First attempt

Daniel Nicoletti dantti12 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 22:22:12 UTC 2012

> From a quick look of the code, there's the chance to build the daemon too.. If so, there's no need to do all that work :)
> About the need of the complete UI, we need it only for one purpose: select which channel will be the Master channel. I can't list all the available channels inside the standard config page (the one which appears when you click on the wrench icon in the applet handle), because of scripted plasmoid limitiations. But, thanks to the awesome progress made with plasmacomponents, I could use your fancy Dialog item to show all the channels available, and allow the user to choose which one will be the Master channel :)
> In this way, we could drop the KMix windowed app, keep only the daemon, and talk to it with one (or more) kmix applet. What do you think?
>
> From my point of view you should:
* Create a KDED module to talk to Alsa/Pulse Audio/OSS/whatever kmix talks
to, expose all this information with a DBus API.
* Create a DataEngine (which I guess you have already written) to talk to
the KDED module.
* Make your plasmoid talk to this.

I was planning on doing this once I have finished some stuff I'm doing but
since you already started this is what I think you should do. I can even
give
a hand if need to.
My idea about the plasmoid applet would be to show master channel when you
click
on the tray area, and have a "mixer" button that expands the plasmoid to
show
all channels like KMix does today. Also this new "mixer" should have all
Pulse Audio Volume Control features so we (KDE users and devs) don't need
that installed again.

Best,
Daniel.