Call for Help: Work on the Usability Survey Framework

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Sat Mar 24 13:25:13 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a developer to help me finish the UI parser for the
Usability Survey Framework. The USF allows designers and developers to
create small user feedback studies tailored to their application. A
service component allows developers to create services to listen for
activity on features within their applications (such as a click on a
new button) and launch a survey tailored to collecting feedback about
that feature. A survey component allows developers and designers to
create custom feedback surveys to collect information from the user
after they experience the features being studied in the application.
For example, the test case for USF listens for notifications on DBUS
and then launches a small survey.

The core libraries and plasma data engine are completed, but the
plasmoid interface is not. The interface needs to parse survey
questions and display a form for users to complete. It also needs to
be customizable to launch at different times: every time the event
occurs, only once per some time period, only once per some number of
events.

Matt Rogers was one of the original developers, and while he doesn't
have a lot of free time right now to work on it, he would be happy to
get anyone up to speed and help where he can. Jonathan Perichon was
our GSoC student last year who hasn't had time to work on it since
school has started, but may also give some help. If we can get it done
and run a pilot study with the notifications service (the test service
for the framework)

I would be more than happy to help you design a usability survey for
your project to test a new feature you have been working on or some
other compensation (books, money, design help on a different
application). Designing a USF study would be a great task for a sprint
or extending the USF to include more services and features would be a
great GSoC project.

Please let me know if you can help, even just on a small piece.
Besides being what I think could be a really valuable usability tool
for KDE developers, my dissertation is depending on it ;)

Background information:
http://jperichon.com/gsoc-usability-survey-framework/
http://jperichon.com/gsoc-usability-study-status-update/
http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/StatusReports#Jonathan_Perichon
http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2012/Ideas#Project:_Usability_Survey_Framework

Source:
git://anongit.kde.org/scratch/perichon/kusabilitysurvey.git

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project