Creating windows without a minimize button

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 17:01:50 UTC 2012

On 19/03/12 17:46, Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Am 19.03.2012, 02:23 Uhr, schrieb Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at gmail.com>:
>
>> On 18/03/12 15:04, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
>>> The hint you want to
>>> set would only remove the minimize button but does not prevent you from
>>> minimizing the window as like I wrote there is no hint to forbid window
>>> minimization. This of course applies for all X11 based window managers
>>> (other platforms like Mac OS or Microsoft Windows are irrelevant),
>>> especially also for GNOME's Metacity as KWin follows Metacity's
>>> interpretation of Motif hints: "To quote from Metacity 'We support those
>>> MWM hints deemed non-stupid'".
>>
>> Hmm, can you elaborate a bit on this? As mentioned, I tried Gnome (on
>> Debian 6), and Metacity (v2.30.1) doesn't show a minimize button.
>> Also, it doesn't allow for minimizing through the title bar system
>> menu (the "Minimize" menu item is grayed out.)
>
>[...]
> Please trust me or Martin or google for thoughts on MWM hints - whatever
> is the solution of your issue (i don't say there's none) it is NOT the
> MWM hints.
> Period ;-)

There's no issue, really.  I just noticed that under KDE, the dialogs of
my application can be minimized and therefore vanish.  They can't be
brought back in any intuitive way.  I don't have a big problem with it
personally, so no issue here.  I can just refrain from minimizing, since
there's no reason to do that to begin with.  Why would I even want to
minimize the "About" window?  It just seemed strange that I *can*.  I
just brought this up here since it seems like a bug, especially since
only KDE showed this behavior.  If KDE says this is how it should be,
then that's how it shall be.