[RFC] Mission Statement for KWin

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Mar 19 16:27:48 UTC 2012

Am 19.03.2012 09:35, schrieb Luca Beltrame:
> In data lunedì 19 marzo 2012 09:27:20, Martin Gräßlin ha scritto:
>
> Hello Martin,
>
>> I have written down something like a "Mission Statement" for KWin
>> [1]
>> and I would like to get your input on what I have written.
>
> It is a good starting point. I would soften the stance on network
> transparency
> because it is still used, likely on the line of "it is not its
> primary focus,
> but it is certainly possible". It comes off less strong than "not
> designed
> with".
What I find important is also to describe the current situation as it
is right now. For Network Transparency the current situation is that the
following topics are very bad suited for it:
* OpenGL 2 based Compositing
* Window Decorations (especially Oxygen)
* TabBox (written in QML)
* Desktop Change OSD (written in QML)
* Graphics system raster

to me that all does not look like KWin still supports Network
Transparency at all. Especially Alt+Tab in QML is quite a showstopper
for the usage on remote setups. The fact that "it is still used" does
not make it work. It is possible to use KWin with Network Transparency
but it won't be a pleasant experience and I would not recommend anyone
to use KWin for Network Transparency.

Cheers
Martin