[RFC] Mission Statement for KWin

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Mar 19 08:27:20 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I have written down something like a "Mission Statement" for KWin [1]
and I would like to get your input on what I have written.

Why have I written that?
Lately I have been rather dissatisfied with the results of some
additions
to KWin done by non core developers (e.g. Scripting, Tabbing, Tiling)
and I don't want to see us allowing such code to enter ever again.

The second thing is that while going through (err closing) most of our
feature request I realized that we don't have any reference to give to
our users why the specific feature request won't be implemented or
conflicts with what KWin wants to be.

So I hope that this helps us in future to evaluate features against it
and at the same time make it not appear like random decisions.

Cheers
Martin

[1] http://community.kde.org/KWin/Mission_Statement

P.S.: might have problems replying, so don't wonder if you don't see
anything the next two days