Redesign kwin's kcm "All effects"

Rick Stockton rickstockton at reno-computerhelp.com
Sun Mar 18 19:38:02 UTC 2012

On 03/18/2012 09:48 AM, Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas wrote:
> <<SNIP>>
>
> I was thinking today how we could make the above idea even better. So,
> we could make the "All effect" tab
> able to play the video natively.
>
> What do you think? Should we change the "All effects" tab?
Definitely fix and add videos. But the follow-up question is "which way"
-- and we NEED to provide text (improved), to handle cases of "no
internet connection" and "Firewall has disabled download of videos".

With text included as an alternative, I vote for the download option --
because the downloads are maintainable on a smaller number of KDE
servers, rather than making Distro Maintainers re-build Packages for the
purpose of replacing an embedded video replacement. It also saves disk
space.

But I would like to add another issue- I don't like "native play",
unless the Player provides a full set of pause/rewind/minimize/move
backwards-forwards capabilities. The user should be able to set his/her
Window Managmenet Options by getting the video out of the way, at ANY
time. *IF* we agree to require all of those player capabilities, an
actual player (with it's own Window) might be more attractive than
embedded play within KCM. But yes, that gets into politics -- which of
the video-player programs built on KDE to recommend?