Workflow Idea for 4.10

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 16 11:58:56 UTC 2012

On Friday, March 16, 2012 00:08:04 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> I've been thinking about the git workflow to be used in KDE Frameworks in
> the future. Based on observations and discussions with current and future
> frameworks maintainer, I think that it would be a mistake to force a single
> workflow for all the frameworks.

is this to make life better for the maintainer or the developers?

one thing that git as used by kde has done so far for me is severely limit my
"occasional hacker" pattern where i dive into a given app or library and do a
bit of work to scratch an itch. this is because we now have a gajillion little
repositories and as a result i rarely build them these days. this is in large
part due to me having kdesrc-build around, but not really using it much. why?
partly because it's a change in my workflow (that takes time) and in part
because i now have two workflows: one for the KDE projects i work on a lot
(where i do no use kdesrc-build, because it is not appropriate there) and
those that i just track.

with the "let everyone pick a workflow" approach we'll be making this absurdely
worse for Frameworks. i won't even know what workflow to be using when i work
on a library, so wave goodbye to my involvement.

given that Frameworks really benefits from the occassional developers such as
myself fixing things here and there, implementing missing functionality here
and there, this should be taken seriously.

i know when i said in the past that my involvement with other projects would
disipate due to the choices being made around git nobody really cared :) well,
it's happened, i'm sure nobody still cares .. and that makes me sad. because
i'm one of many. and by being too focused on tools and maintainers rather than
developers we are screwing ourselves over.

please disabuse yourself of the notion of "maintainer chooses" and work on a
single workflow that all of Frameworks will adhere to for the sanity of all
future developers.

seriously, this is the "should we have a coding style?" discussion all over
again, isn't it?

> [1] And before any "we should always branch" zealot cringe (not blaming you,
> been there as well), please take a few minutes and read[2]:
> http://martinfowler.com/bliki/FeatureToggle.html

i honestly can't imagine a worse idea for a library like libplasma.