unity-like interface

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 15 09:00:22 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 17:22:19 you wrote:
> Ideally this work can be downloaded as an activity template, right? Or

yes; however this is where some additional work is needed as this really isn't
an activity template at all but using the scripting to modify the workspace
shell itself. so while behind the scenes it's all the same javascript API and
package format for distribution, plasma-desktop needs to be able to
differentiate between different kinds of script packages: those which are meant
to be used as an activity template; those that define a panel layout that can
be added to an existing configuration; those that re-work the entire shell;
etc.

> There's someone else
> working on a Kwin-QML interface similar to what you would get
> combining Moblin and Gnome, and he's looking at making it a shell.

do you have a link to this?

> referring to shells or activities? You also stated, "we just need to
> add the ability to run a kwin js after the plasma-desktop js for the
> full effect," how do you propose doing this?

the relevant code is in kde-workspace/plasma/desktop/shell

in plasmaapp.cpp there is a method PlasmaApp::createActivityFromScript which
is currently called from the ActivityManager. this ends up calling
DesktopCorona::evaluateScripts. createActivityFromScript is not actually very
activity-specific at all :)

then there is DesktopCorona::addPanel which is similar and called from the Add
Panel menu. it optionally loads a script, also using evaluateScripts.

so .. what probably needs to be done:

* a new method in DesktopCorona which takes a Plasma::Package to execute (this
will encapsulate all the script handling in one place; right now it is
duplicated/scattered across createActivityFromScript, populateAddPanelsMenu,
ActivityManager::activityTypeActions, etc.)

* in that method, after running the plasma desktop script, if there is a kwin
script also in the package, trigger kwin (via dbus) to run it

> Also, what do I need to look into in integrating a maximized window's
> titlebar into the default panel? This should be enough to get me
> started.

there is the active window plasmoid, but that always shows the window name and
close button. so .. one could take that plasmoid and modify it so that only if
the current window is maximized that it shows anything, and you should be
done.