March Iteration of Frameworks epic

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Mar 9 16:58:35 UTC 2012

Hi all,

the March Iteration of splitting kdelibs [1] involves KWindowSystem. As I was
appointed to be responsible for that I will concentrate my work on this epic
starting from next week. Any help is more than appreciated.

What I plan to achieve:
* getting kwindowsystem as a Tier 1 library (currently it's planned as a Tier
2)
* moving Plasma::WindowEffects into this library
* reaching a test coverage of > 90 %
* removing all deprecated atom hints/legacy functionality etc.
* clean up coding style ;-)
* where it makes sense introduce Q_PROPERTIES

A few things I will have to discuss with the KDE Frameworks maintainers. E.g.
I think we should drop the Windows and MacOS X implementations of
KWindowSystem as it is too close to our X world.

I plan to do a review request for each change and include the kwin group, for
things needing discussions I will start an RFC thread first (e.g. should we
change desktop with number 0 to be the first desktop as it is in NETWM spec).

Cheers
Martin

[1]
http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/Splitting_kdelibs#March_Iteration