Workflow Idea for 4.10

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Mar 9 07:17:41 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Alex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> At Active sprint we've used a lunch break for talking about some
> "Workflow Issues" we find with the current way of using git in the
> workspace, just for mention a few discussed things from the top of m
> head:
>
> - People merge things not ready to be merged (aka using git as we did svn)
> - We don't want to change to a 3 month release (or something like that).
> - Reviewboard is not the perfect tool for big changes
> - Current time schedule has its benefits
>
> The resulting workflow if we take into account all of that is:
>
> - Keep the 6 month release period
> - Keep the current  schedule (soft freeze, hard freeze...)
> - Move to a review based workflow before hard freeze (we need gerrit).

I should note that Sysadmin has on several occasions assessed Gerrit.
On each occasion the conclusion reached was that Gerrit would be
difficult to maintain and would increase the complexity involved for
pre-existing contributors.

Among the issues found:
- Gerrit implements the git protocol itself, and has an internal SSH server.
- Changes would be necessary to integrate it with Identity as we store
SSH keys in Identity. It is not clear how invasive these changes would
be.
- Gerrit is a Java application, and past experience with them indicate
that are very resource intensive.
- Gerrit operates with the assumption it has permission to push to the
master repositories, providing a security vulnerability to our
infrastructure.
- Permissions would need to be duplicated between Gerrit and Gitolite,
the system responsible for managing git repositories on git.kde.org.

The security of git.kde.org and svn.kde.org is something which can
never be affected or weakened in any form.