[GSoC] Plasma File Sender idea

Detlev Casanova detlev.casanova at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:20:46 UTC 2012

On Monday 05 March 2012 12:22:10 you wrote:
> On Sunday, March 04, 2012 21:20:39 Detlev Casanova wrote:
> > This widget could be a new one or work within the Device Notifier.
> >
> > Tell me what you think, if that already exists, if someone is working on a
> > similar project, do you believe it doable for a GSoC.
>
> Sounds a lot like the Share from "share like connect".
>
> http://www.notmart.org/index.php/Software/Share,_Like_and_Connect

That widget is based on the currently opened document in an application which
means that
 1) the application must be aware of the widget
 2) Sending multiple files is not the aim of the widget
 3) There are some clicks to do to have it done.

Also, currently, it only exists for Plasma Active but is in fact planned to be
ported to Plasma Desktop.

A problem I can see with this is that non aware applications wouldn't react
with the widget, that could somehow discourage the user (why does it work with
Gwenview but not with LibreOffice ?)

That's where I think copy pasting could still be usefull.

The project in Plasma Desktop could be modified and extended to support such a
feature for which Marco Martin won't object IMHO.

I still have to have a look at how Share, Like and Connect works to see if
this could be used.

Attached is the response of Marco to my email.

Detlev Casanova