Windows previews in qml plasmoid?

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 22:00:06 UTC 2012

Στις 29/06/2012 12:25 πμ, ο/η Martin Grδίlin έγραψε:
> On Thursday 28 June 2012 22:14:29 Marco Martin wrote:
>>> there are two ways to address this:
>>>
>>> * add this functionality to the existing ToolTip element in kde-
>>> runtime/plasma/declarativeimports/core/tooltip.cpp
>>>
>>> * include a bit of C++ with the QML task manager applet which exposes this
>> i'm for the second, i'm not tooo happy about exposing thumbnails in the
>> import
> I'm against exposing the thumbnails at all. This has severe impact on KWin's
> rendering performance. The taskbar thumbnail effect is designed for the usage
> in the thumbnail were a few assumptions hold, mainly the fact that the window
> is on top of all windows. Adding a plasmoid on the desktop rendering a
> thumbnail could crawl kwin down completely.
>
> So what's actually the use case of Thumbnails is Plasmoids? Remember a
> thumbnail has to be of at least 200x200 pixels to be of use.
>
> Cheers
> Martin

The use case exists. It's about the WorkFlow plasmoid in which I am
facing this issue:
http://opentoolsandspace.org/en/projects/development/plasmoid-workflow

Concerning the focus that the window effect is on top of all
the other windows, an assumption can be made that the plasmoid is going
to be used
as a popupapplet in a panel or in the dashboard. I also believe that in
the future
the tasks plasmoid is going to use QML. It may be too early for that
discussion but
until then the issue is going to exist.

For a start, I would be happy if I could take some screenshots(QPixmaps)
from
the kwin effect whenever the QML UI needs them. Instead of live preview,
tasks screenshots in every 500ms for example.

Cheers,
Michail